1.Feminism. More specifically the uprise of attention on women’s issues. The double standards. The inconsistencies. The things that need to be fixed. Besides me being a woman, I’m raising a daughter. My hope is that we (the collective societal we) have this all ironed out by the time she’s 40. Fingers crossed.
2. Positive Body Image. I have so much to say on this topic. SO MUCH. I’ve been a size 6 to a size 18, been pregnant 4 times, birthed two healthy babies, survived a handful of anorexic years, and been on every diet ever invented (This is not an exaggeration. After I ran out of US diets, I moved on to the latest fads in the UK and Australia.). I’m currently sitting here the biggest I’ve ever been. And it’s so freeing!!! (But that anorexic voice still lingers in my brain…) SO MUCH TO SAY.
3. Swearing. I swear a lot. Like, a lot, a lot. I will not be bleeping myself here, so buckle up and enjoy the ride motha fuckers!!!!!!!
4. Meditating. I’ve recently started meditating. It’s changing my life in 30 minute increments. My hunch is that when I’m 80, I’ll look back on my life, and see a dividing line between “before meditating” and “after meditating”. I’m learning to look inwards for truth, validation, and love. Turns out I’ve been looking outwards for all of that until this point in my life. I know, right?!?!
5. Acceptance. Accepting my parents for who they are. Accepting my childhood for what it was. Accepting people for doing the best they can do and respecting their individual journeys. Accepting the fact that friendships change–some for better and some for worse. Accepting to let go of those “for worse” friendships. Accepting my true feelings and learning to express them. Accepting that I have a right to be here and to speak my truth. Accepting my role as a wife and mother, within the balance of my self. And finally, learning to accept a goddamn compliment. Why is that so fucking hard to do?
6. Healing. My fucking ankle is still recovering ya’ll.
7. Misc. (In no particular order.) The ocean. Sunshine. My phone. My couch. Online shopping. A hot lavender bath. Melissa McCarthy. Amy Poehler. Tina Fey. Amy Schumer. Jimmy Fallon. Justin Timberlake. President Obama. Hillary Clinton. Taylor Swift. Mindy Kaling. My kids. My sister. My husband. My closest friends. Babies. Kittens. The Honest Company. Chemical-Free everything. Organic everything. BeautyCounter. Eggs Benedict. An ice-cold beer on tap. Manners. Coffee. Coffee. Coffee. Coffee. Coffee. Coffee. Neuhaus Chocolates from Belgium. Paris. Inspirational quotes. Funny quotes. Cards Against Humanity at 2 AM in a room at the Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay. Smoking pot in a British double-decker bus.Wine tasting. The color blue. Reading. Sleeping. Watching TV. Two hour phone calls with my sister. Fridays at the neighborhood pool. Signs from the universe. Hummingbirds. Coincidences. Chips & guac.